Thursday, July 14, 2011

Year One


Dear Finley,

You are ONE!!

We are so happy that you have been in our family for a whole year, sweet Finley. But I cannot believe this year has already gone by so quickly.

You have grown and learned so much. And you have worked yourself so deeply into our hearts that it’s hard to imagine there was a time before you were with us.

We celebrated your birthday on Tuesday with birthday cake and balloons, and I kept thinking back to the day when I first held your tiny little self in my arms. It seems as if you came into this world with a smile on your face, and you are still a sweet, happy boy who loves to laugh.

Your first word is BOO. As in peek-a-BOO. It is your favorite game and almost anything will get you started on playing it. You also say “up,” or at least you try to. And you love to watch your big brothers climb the stairs—or, better yet, the sliding board at the pool. You watch them climb and you say with glee, “Uhh!Uhh-pp! Uhhhhhp!” And when they slide down, you watch with concern until they pop back up in the water, kissing you and making you laugh.

We took you to the beach last month, and you loved it. You loved to splash, splash, splash—as long as it didn’t splash on your face. I can’t wait to take you back again. You were so cute and so good!

You’ve also learned to climb the stairs, you little stinker. So far, we only let you do it with someone right behind to catch you if you fall, but it is the biggest thrill of your young life. I have a feeling this year will be all about me running after you…

You haven’t learned to walk yet, but it’s just a matter of time. You have a little walker toy that you push around the house, and you are so proud! I will say that I’m in no hurry for you to start walking. I will miss that sweet sound of your little hands slap-slapping along the wood floors as you patrol around the house. Sometimes you get crawling so fast that you don’t watch where you’re going and run right into the couch. Of course, you’re a tough little guy, so you just shake it off and keep going.

Your love of ceiling fans is as strong as ever. All I have to say is “round and round and round” and you just look up and wave your arm in circles and smile. Mommy and Daddy’s room doesn’t have a fan, so whenever you’re in there, you look up and swing your arm with this question mark on your face, like, “Where’s the fan?” Too, too cute.

Even more than ceiling fans, you love your brothers. They are magical super heroes in your young eyes. They run, they jump, they sing and yell, and you just take it all in. They are never boring, and they have no end of hugs and kisses for their baby brother. Before your first birthday, William said, “I’ve never been so excited for somebody’s birthday in my whole life!”

We adore you, Finley. We are amazed and grateful for the blessing that is you. We love the little boy you are becoming and we already miss the little baby that you were. We’re so proud of the way you are growing and learning, and we are so excited to meet the man you will grow to become someday.

We love you!

Mommy


3 comments:

Yevette said...

'that sweet sound of your little hands slap-slapping along the wood floors as you patrol around the house'-You have right now articulated something I love about Dorothy! I love him in the video, nodding his sweet head. He is so smart! I'm so glad we got to meet him and I hope we can see y'all again soon.

Allison said...

presh. adorbs. love.

Marissa Burt said...

Aw, your monthly posts always leave me a little teary-eyed. Love this. Can't believe our little men are ONE!