Wednesday, August 18, 2010
My New BFF
So, yeah. I'm best friends with an Amish lady now. I told you and told you it would happen, and it did.
Of course, I don't actually know her name. But I did have a conversation with her, which is pretty incredible in my book. So, I'd say that counts as best friends.
Let me set the stage...
I'm at Hershey Park--well, actually, I'm at Hershey's World of Chocolate, which is next door to Hershey Park. And I'm there with my newborn 5-week-old baby, and my in-laws are walking my two big kids around and enjoying all the attractions. As for me, I'm doing some serious people-watching, which is apparently my one and only hobby.
People are weird looking, by the way.
So, in the midst of my people watching, I notice three different Amish families on the premises. And I'm thinking about how odd that is since Hershey's World of Chocolate is all kinds of lights and electricity and multimedia and consumerism--all things that I didn't think the Amish were into. But, all the same, I'm grateful for the chance to shamelessly people-watch them.
I notice a few things: Amish kids wear Crocs (well, off-brand Crocs) or flip-flops with their traditional clothing. Also, Amish mothers look really tired. Finally, the men have some rough looking haircuts. I wonder if the women give them bad haircuts because they are so tired and maybe a little bit cranky from all the hard work they have to do around the farm.
So, I'm holding my pretty little baby and watching all the people go by. But, little do I realize, I'm being people-watched right back! An older-ish Amish woman walks past me and looks at my baby. Then she walks back by a few minutes later and looks at the baby again...and then smiles at me. I smile back. And I get kind of excited. An Amish woman smiled at me!
Then, she walks by AGAIN and says, "How old is your baby?"
Me: "Five weeks."
Amish Lady: "Oh, he is so tiny! A boy or a girl?"
Me: "Boy."
Amish Lady: "Oh. (Smiles) I have four boys. .... And five girls."
YOINKS!!
Amish Lady: "I just love babies."
Me: "Me, too." (But clearly not as much as you. Wow!!)
At this point, my father-in-law walks up and the Amish lady disappears into the chocolate-loving crowd. I tried not to be irritated that he scared off my new friend. At the same time, I wondered why he wasn't more AMAZED that an Amish lady was talking to me. I mean, if it were me...I'd be AMAZED. I mean, right? Am I right? Right? Totally amazing. At least to me...
Anywhoo...I do miss my new friend. And I wish we'd talked longer. I had so many questions! --But the limited nature of our friendship won't stop me from savoring it for a ridiculously long time. At least until I make a new Amish friend, anyway...
Oh, and the drive from our town to Hershey, PA...well, let me tell you. It was freakishly beautiful. I wish I could have recorded the entire 45 minute drive so that you could enjoy it as well. Gorgeous farms with perfectly charming stone farm houses. Cows and goats...and even some sheep! (I love sheep!)
It was just stunningly beautiful. So beautiful that it made my heart hurt a little bit.
Ok--Well, that's pretty much it, I guess. I'm best friends with an Amish lady and I took a nice drive through the countryside. This is my life now.
Tah-daaah...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Too funny! I'd be amazed if I met an amish friend, too!
Sounds nice. I've always been infatuated with the Amish. You're our chance to get in with them. Make more friends! :)
been thinking about you today. I hope your little one decided to take it down a bit last night.
Post a Comment