Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Uniform


I wear the same thing pretty much every day.

It's my uniform--like a soldier reporting for duty. But not.

I've been wearing it since I came home from the hospital six weeks ago. --Fact is, I'm getting kind of tired of it, but it's the only thing that fits.

My uniform: black t-shirt, maternity jean skirt, birkenstock sandals.

Soooooo pretty!


Of course, it's not the same black t-shirt every day. I have about 5 of them in my dresser drawer and I trade them out as each one gets baby-puked on. There's also a navy blue one somewhere in the mix, so sometimes I hardly recognize myself in the mirror: "Who is this stranger in that navy blue shirt and maternity jean skirt?"

The sad fact is that it's maddening to have a closet full of clothes that I haven't been able to wear since...oh...last December. (Ok. November.) And even though I recognize that the baby weight is coming off at a healthy and appropriate rate, I'd like it all to be gone INSTANTLY. --I want to wear my old clothes, dad-blammit!

It's a silly, vain thing to be fussing about, I know. But it really is demoralizing when you don't own a single pair of pants that you can zip.

Oh, and don't even get me started about the business going on up top.

As a rather flat-chested girl in high school, I dreeeeamed of a pair like these (well, minus the dairy production). Little did I realize that shirts don't button over big boobs. Oh, and bra straps dig into sore shoulders with big boobs. Oh, lucky flat-chested girl... If I could, I'd go back in time and tell her to count her blessings.

I'd also tell her to get a better haircut, but that's a whole different blog entry...

In the meantime, I'm going to go back and study episodes of Mad Men (if you haven't seen it, I can only weep for you) to see how Joan, the buxom secretary, managed to look so gorgeous and not-trampy with her enormous knockers. Also, I'm going to beg my friends (this means you, people!) to contact the folks at What Not to Wear and turn me in for wearing the same boring outfit every day.

Seriously. Turn me in.

America will thank you for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know about those Birkenstocks :) and I bet you look fabulous. I mean, a jean skirt always looks CUTE! Skinny jeans are totally overrated!! Miss you Janet Lyn! xoxo

Katherine said...

On my bulletin board, sitting right above my computer screen, is a name badgey thing that
I rummaged from my gradmother's estate. I was almost 9 when she died, and had no idea that I would inherit so many of her physical genes...the badge reads, "I may be almost broke but at least I'm not flat busted". This phrase still makes me smile, though during 7th grade when my perky little Cs grew to hel-lo DDs, I was not too pleased. Now, if only those little perky Cs would come back...