Friday, March 19, 2010
Real Estate Reality
Just for the record, this is only the FIRST DAY our house has officially been on the market. The sign went up yesterday, but the lock box thingy didn't go on the door until today. And when our realtor's assistant brought it by and hung it on the doorknob, she said something like, "Ok! We're official."
And I nearly puked.
Aside from my quivering chin of sadness and the feeling of melancholy over the fact that we really, really, really are going to move, I'm also just having a hard time dealing with the fact that our house is open for business.
So...This is my new reality: I clean my house. I clean my house. I clean my house. And I clean my house.
I paint walls that nobody has ever looked at before. I organize closets that no one outside of this family has ever opened before. Oh, and then I clean the house again.
It's like getting ready for pretty much the worst party ever.
I'm preparing for a bunch of guests THAT I DO NOT KNOW. And these are NOT party guests who want to enjoy my food and drink, and talk and laugh and share the pleasure of their company.
Nay, nay. These are STRANGERS. Coming to my house whenever the *bleep* is most convenient for them. In fact, they are going to show up and require that I leave the premises, so as to make their poking around my house a more enjoyable experience.
Seriously.
Who comes up with this stuff?
I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I mean...I know selling a house is all very normal and no big deal. And it's probably just First Day Real Estate Jitters. But really. I am not cut out for this.
(deep breath)
Oh, and to top it all off, it's a horrible year to sell a house. Everyone is poor and nobody is buying. So that means all of this panic and crazy is probably for nothing. And so now, instead of a bad party where rude guests come and open all my closets, it might just be a really really bad party where nobody even shows up.
(deep breath)
Ok. I'm going to take a shower now. And I'm not going to imagine that some realtor will call me sometime between lather, rinse and repeat. And I'm also going to try not to imagine that no realtor will call me ever, Ever, EVER.
(Help.)
PS. The lady in those pictures is smiling a little too much for my tastes. Just a wee hint of crazy, no?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
yes that is a crazy lady in the pictures. and i think you should ban the boys from the house to keep it clean. they could set up camp city in the back and they would love it!
I feel your pain! When we sold our house in Boston I vacuumed so obsessively that even our realtor started to make fun of me. Selling a house that you also happen to be living in is a special kind of hell!
Shall I tell you our painless house-selling story? would that be too evil of me?
I'm going to anyway. Cleaned the house, called a cat sitter, went on vacation for a week in Destin FL, came home and the house was SOLD. Side note: realtor picked up a cat poop from the carpet before he took some people through. Great realtor. Better market. Please don't hate me.
I have a terrible moving out of the house story if you want to hear it and also some terrible house-buying stories.
I hope yours sells soon. I hope you get a robot maid, lots of B&J Ice Cream and a vacation.
Post a Comment