George is going to Italy for a week with his students. He is flying there right this minute.
And while I'm not jealous of the flight (I hate, hate, hate flying), and I'm not jealous that he's dragging a dozen teenagers around a foreign country, I am jealous of pretty much everything else.
He's going back to my most favorite-ist restaurant in the entire world. It's the one George's friend Alessandro (the Gladiator School guy) took us to this summer. It's owned by his father-in-law, and Alex has already emailed George the menu for the evening.
They are having rice-stuffed tomatoes roasted over a bed of diced potatoes. They are having pasta with teeny-tiny mussels that look like shells you find on the beach. They are having suppli (rice balls!) stuffed with mozarella cheese. They are having fresh fish that were pulled out of the Mediterranean Sea that very morning.
And I'm sitting here with a self-pity tear running down my cheek...
I don't even care that they are going to see the ruins of Pompei or climb Mt. Vesuvius. I don't care that they are going to tour some old museum in Naples. Or that they are going to the Island of Capri. (Ok. I do care about that. Very, very much.)
But mostly I just want that daggone TOMATO!!
I asked George to beg Alessandro's father-in-law for the recipe. I said to tell him that his wife was pregnant and that tomato is the only thing in the world that will make her happy. I said he could even give us the recipe in Italian and I'd learn the language just to be able to translate it.
We'll see...
(sigh)
(double-sigh)
I tell you what...if George brings me home that recipe, I'll share it with you.
In the meantime, I'm going to go eat some doughnuts to make me feel better.
Because that's what sulking is all about...
P.S. On the way to the airport, George foolishly mentioned that he'd be stopping by Giolitti's in Rome for gelato. He even told me what flavors he'd be getting: nocciola (hazelnut), riso (rice), and cioccolato fondente (dark chocolate). I nearly reached over and shoved him out of our moving vehicle.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I. Love. You. I. Love. Food. Too. I just wish I had your metabolism. That would be awesome. Blessing, really:) Love you and praying the time goes by fast and that he gets home safely!
Call me if you want to get together:)
I am right there with you when it comes to all that fabulous food. He should have walked to the airport. He needs the exercise with all that food he'll be eating! Seriously, I hope both of you have a good week in your respective places. Call me to pass some time away!
Post a Comment